“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
As a coach, I’m constantly working with clients around their goals, plans and even new year’s resolutions. And I’ve had many new clients come to coaching out of sheer frustration because one or all of these didn’t work out, and sometimes time and time again. If this has happened to you, chances are the problem is in the way you are approaching them – not in the goal itself. A goal is just deciding on the destination. Action steps, turned into habits, is what is going to get you there.
Habits are small, simple shifts you make in your day to day life. They create sustainable change, consistency and feelings of accomplishment and security. They pull you forward with far less effort than pushing and trying to do it with sheer willpower and determination. They are measurable so they are manageable, making it much more likely that you’ll stick with something and succeed.
What is one new habit you could commit to that would change your life in the next 3 months? 6 months? A year? What are the bad habits that you’d like to let go of? (Hint: think of new more useful habits to replace these with – it’s really hard to just “stop doing” something.)
Here are 23 Life Changing Habits for you to try out. Pick just 1 or 2 at a time, commit to them and master them for at least 21 days and then add on. Trust your gut – it’ll be the right choice for you. xo Hunter
1. Finish things
2. Move your body
3. Commit to getting enough sleep
4. Give in a structured way regularly – it keeps your heart connected to others in a healthy way
5. Develop a clear morning routine
6. Plan your day the night before – always
7. Get and stay organized
8. Get rid of what no longer serves you – consistently
9. Meditate, pray or journal daily
10. Nourish your body with healthy foods
11. Tell the truth – to yourself about yourself
12. Invest or save monthly
13. Look at the numbers daily or weekly
14. Have written goals 3 short term, 3 long term
15. Get up earlier
16. Work in 20 minute intervals (Pomordoro Technique)
17. Stretch hourly
18. Single Task (drop the multi, it’s far less effective)
19. Stop blaming yourself – just stop!
20. Continually seek out people who inspire you
21. Feed your soul
22. Schedule everything
23. Pursue at least one passion
*Bonus: Floss Daily, Do some Squats and Don’t let anyone be mean to you!
Visit Hunter’s profile.